Saturday, 9 June 2007


I'd been having a fair bit of trouble getting the right-pointing guillemet (») to print from a javascript.

It used to work a treat on a page I did for NECT but since I updated Opera it stopped working (needless to say it had also stopped working in Internet Explorer as well).

What was happening?

The script I was using needed 3 instances of the right-pointing guillemet to be printed on the screen depending upon different circumstances. As I said, it used to work, but then it started printing », which was a bit of a bugger!

So I replaced » with »; which didn't bloody work either!

ARSE angry!

I was getting right naffed off as you can imagine so I tried placing each character of the entity code with its html entity code and that just printed out a whole long string of entity codes... confused

Then I read this and decided that I needed to try Unicode because: "Unicode provides a unique number for every character, no matter what the platform, no matter what the program, no matter what the language.".

(Each time I edit this page the nice HTML character codes get replaced with a proper right-pointing guillemet... so I'm gonna try to stop editing it wink)

Anyway, the Unicode is something like \u00BB

No comments:

Post a Comment